So as I mentioned previously, I just got a new T-Mobile HTC Sensation 4G and of course I had to transfer my files.
UPDATE: I just realized you can skip transferring to a PC and connect your old phone to your new phone via Bluetooth and just transfer the files straight from your old phone to your new phone, eliminating the computer as the middle man.
Retrieving contacts from a deactivated phone to your Computer or to your HTC Sensation 4G
First I had to get them off my Motorola RAZR V3m, which I did using this guys steps:
Though there was no copyright listed, I want to give the author credit, especially since I am including a copy of these steps here (though I am modifying them) in case his site ever goes dark.
You can use these steps to transfer your contacts to a computer or to transfer them directly to your HTC Sensation 4G.
Step 1 – Enable Bluetooth
- Turn your Bluetooth on, and make sure it’s discoverable. Do this for each device.
- On either device, scan for or add a new Bluetooth device.
- Connect/Pair the two devices.
- Enter the pin in both devices to pair them.
Step 2 – Send the Contacts
- On your old RAZR V3m, select Contacts on your phone.
- Select Options.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of that ridiculous list. See the one that says, “Send Name Card.” Select it.
- Only one card will have been selected (likely the first on your contacts list). Hit the “Add” softkey option, and select “Add All.”
- Press “Send.” It’s going to ask you where to send them. You’re going to tell it to send to the computer to which you just paired your phone.
- On your computer or HTC, notice automatic activity. You will need to confirm that it’s okay with you for the transfer to happen.
You should now have a bunch of .vcf files.
On Windows 7, they are here: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Bluetooth Exchange Folder
Hopefully, you will find similar steps for your phone if it is not a RAZR V3m
Transferring Contacts to your HTC Sensation 4G
If you transferred the contacts to your HTC Sensation 4g, skip directly to Step 4.
Step 1 – Turn on Bluetooth
- Click on the bottom left icon to go to All Apps.
- Scroll down and select Settings.
- Click on Wireless & Networks.
- Turn on Bluetooth by clicking it (make sure the check box is green).
Step 2 – Connect the HTC Sensation 4G to your computer via Bluetooth
- On your computer (I used Windows 7) click Add device from your Bluetooth options.
- Windows searches for you device. Click it when it is found.
- Enter the number that pops up on the screen into your HTC Sensation 4G.
You are now connected via Bluetooth from your laptop and on your laptop the Bluetooth device control window should appear.
Step 3 – Send your .vcf files to the HTC Sensation 4G
- On your laptop, in the Bluetooth device control window, click the link under file transfer: “Send files to your (HTC Sensation 4G) phone”.
- Click Browse Files.
- Add all the .vcf files that you previously transferred to this folder: C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Bluetooth Exchange Folder
- Click Send.
- On your HTC Sensation 4G, you will get prompted to allow the transfer. Allow it.
The .vcf files should now be on the SD card in your HTC Sensation 4G.
Step 4 – Import all the .vcf files to your HTC Sensation 4G
- On your HTC Sensation 4G, click Contacts.
- Click the second icon below the screen (has one longer horizontal line above three shorter horizontal lines).
- Select Import/Export.
- Select Import from SD Card.
- Choose the account to import to, I used Google.
- Choose to import All vCard files.
- Click Ok.
You should now have imported all your contacts.
Hope this helps you.